This was a fun and interesting project. Ed had recently worked with another group to re-design his site and the site actually looked pretty good! There were several issues however that needed to be resolved:
- The site was SLOW loading. Slow loading sites get penalized by Google
- The website database was HUGE, also impacting the website in many different ways
- The website was scoring low on several different website graders
- His main website and membership site were combined and the membership portion of the site was poised to grow so we ended up creating 2 different websites
You can find Ed DeCosta on:
- Genesis Framework & Altitude Pro Child Theme
- Visual Content Plugin to make it easy to create quick landing pages, pages with wide “hero” image banners across the top of the page, custom page layouts, and more.
And the best news!! Ed really likes his new site… but don’t just take my word for it 🙂
A website grader evaluates your website and gives it a performance grade in many different categories. This is just one of several I use to check a site, but I like how GT Metrix highlights the major grades at the top of the screen.
Here is the website grade for EdDeCosta.com BEFORE the changes we made:
Here is the website grade for EdDeCosta.com AFTER the changes we made:
I was THRILLED with how we were able to make positive changes on his site and give his site a much higher grade. Depending on the time of day… that first grade of B(89%) is an A :). I much prefer that but I’ll certainly take the 89% we get! The biggest difference you will see is in the page load speed time. From 12.6 seconds to 2.7 seconds – that was huge! And, fun to see. It felt like such a reward for all the hard work it took to bring this all together.
This was a hard, challenging website project but ended up being one of my favorites because of all that we were able to accomplish.
A big thank you goes again to Brenda Dunagan an her efforts to work with Ed and myself to bring this website to life. Ed has an incredibly busy schedule and Brenda was able to step in and help make decisions on layouts, options and presenting options when stumped! Ed was looking for a highly visual site with bright colors and movement to capture his website visitors attention… while not sacrificing page load time, that was key.